Englewood Schools will offer both online and in-person learning opportunities this fall.
July 15, 2020
Dear Englewood Schools Community,
At last night’s Board meeting, the Englewood Schools Return Planning Task Force presented the plans for return to school. The Board came to a consensus to move the plan forward knowing that guidance and knowledge around COVID-19 is continually changing and our plans will continue to be updated accordingly. The Englewood Return Plan website is your go-to for everything regarding return to school.
At this time, we are asking all families to do three things:
- Review the plans for in-person learning and eLearning (online only).
- Attend a virtual town hall meeting (or watch a recording of one) to hear the plans in detail and ask questions. The town hall schedule is posted here.
- Make a decision about whether your student will participate in in-person learning or eLearning and respond to our survey by August 3. The first day of school for both options will be on August 27.
During these uncertain times, our goal is to provide our students with the best and safest possible learning experiences. The Englewood Schools Return Plan focuses on academics, food, connection and childcare, all with health & safety at the forefront of each decision.
Our plans have been compiled by a task force of Englewood Schools staff members, who based decisions on current health guidelines and the needs of staff and students. The plans were updated and modified based on feedback from 106 additional parents, students and staff members during advisory meetings.
Our best thinking has been put into these documents to ensure they are thorough and complete. We know we will continue to receive health and safety guidance from our governing health agencies, as well as the Colorado Department of Education and the office of the Governor. Please understand that changes to our plans will likely occur as guidance and information from all of these entities continues to evolve. We will update our staff and family communities weekly with any changes or timely information. Additionally, when school-based staff returns in early August, site specific plans will be developed and shared. Site specific plans will offer greater detail with regard to the expected daily experiences of our students and staff participating in in-person learning.
Some highlights of the plans:
- Families can choose between in-person learning or eLearning from home through the Englewood eLearning online program
- Students and staff members returning to in-person learning will have daily wellness checks, including but not limited to temperature screenings
- Students and staff members returning to in-person learning are expected to follow all current health guidelines including wearing masks and staying the recommended distance apart
- Students will be grouped within “cohorts” to minimize exposure and to help with contact tracing in case of a positive case of COVID-19
- We expect our in-person learning option to have to go remote at times
- We will provide before and after school childcare for in-person learners through Champions and hope to continue offering full-day childcare in the event of a school closure
- While we are taking every precaution to minimize the spread of COVID-19, please note that no reopening structure can ensure zero transmission and some infections may occur
We understand this unprecedented time comes with many unknowns and anxiety. We hope that in specifying our plans and allowing family choice, we are helping to ease any anxiety and offer a path forward for the best fit for each student and family.
As always, our highest priority is the safety and well-being of our students and staff members.
Thank you as always for your trust in our district. It is an honor to serve the Englewood community.
President, Board of Education