Click on a section title to go directly to all the articles in that section. Click "Read more" to go to a particular story.
Important Information for Everyone
- Respecting Diversity for December Holidays: The Anti-Defamation League provides some tips for the upcoming holiday season. Read more...
- Print Shop: The publications department will be closed December 22 through January 4. Read more...
Information for Teachers and Administrators
- Google Apps on iPads: Professional Development Series. Read more...
- Edit PDFs with Google Drive: Learn how to convert PDFs to editable text with Google Drive. Read more...
- Family, School and Community Partnering Course: CDE is offering three online courses on how to effectively partner with families to support student learning. Read more...
- New Teacher Induction December Meeting: All inductees should attend this meeting Read more...
- Hour of Code: Engage student learning and possibly win a $10,000 prize. Read more...
- Live Google Hangout with Attorney General Coffman: Students can ask questions about the Bill of Rights. Read more...
- Beer and Brushes: Join friends and colleagues at the Brew on Broadway for a guided holiday painting. Read more...
Important Information for Everyone
Respecting Diversity for December Holidays
In an effort to help schools comply with the United States Constitution and create an environment that communicates respect for diversity by valuing diverse points of view concerning religion, the Anti-Defamation League offers the following guidelines for developing December holiday curricula:
- The school must never appear to endorse religion over non-religion, or one particular religious faith over another.
- Diversity includes religious diversity.
- Public schools must remain free from activities that could involve religious coercion.
- Schools must be careful not to cross the line between teaching about religious holidays (which is permitted) and celebrating religious holidays (which is not.)
- Special school events, assemblies, concerts and programs must be designed to further a secular and objective program of education and must not focus on any one religion or religious observance.
- Religious symbols are not appropriate seasonal decorations in public schools.
- In an effort to be inclusive, it is not advisable to seek or rely on information about a religion from a representative child of that faith tradition.
The Publications Department will be closed December 22 through January 4.
Please plan ahead and get orders in early. All orders will be completed in the order they were received.
Englewood Schools has been a Google Apps for Education District for a number of years now. But we have a number of new staff and others who need some professional development on how to use Google apps for teaching and learning. This series is focused on teacher use of Google Apps with students. Nonetheless, all staff are welcome to participate. These are hands-on classes so bring your laptops/iPads. Relicensure credit will be offered for each session except June's. These are optional sessions. Attend as few or as many as you need. If registered participants exceed room capacity, a second session will be scheduled.
To register for a session, just find the event on the 2015-16 District Professional Development Calendar at https://www.englewoodschools.net/Page/4188
. Then click on the event – more details. Then below the session description, find the attached link to the registration form, click on it, fill it out, and submit. You can also copy the event to your calendar. From within the details of the event, click on more actions – copy to [your calendar]. Alternatively, you can click on the event below to take you directly to the registration form for that session. These sessions will be team-taught by teachers and Technology Department staff. We hope to see you there. (There will be chocolate!)
December 17th – Google Forms & Sheets
January 21st – Google Calendar & Gmail
February 18th – Google Sites
March 17th – Google Slides
April 20th – Google Chrome & Extensions
May 19th – Google Hangouts
June 2nd – Preview of iPad Apps for 2016-17
This PD series is aligned to Colorado Teacher Quality Standards 3.D. and 4.B and Colorado Licensure Standards 7.1-7.5.
Back to Top
Convert PDFs into Editable Text in a Google Doc
Google continues to blur the line between physical and digital. What used to only live on ink and paper can be edited right in your Drive. The OCR (Optical Character Recognition) feature in Google Drive can convert a pdf or image of a physical page of text into an editable Google Doc. Just take three minutes to watch this video to learn how at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAwm7TYvEWs
. This is a great way to get students to annotate or fully edit curriculum such as math worksheets, literature, historical documents, or other material.
Family School and Community Partnering 2016 Online Courses
CDE is offering three online courses on how to effectively partner with families to support student learning. Each course has a specific focus, suggested audience and time frame. There is an emphasis on immediately applying the information to a participant’s site or situation through data-based action planning. There is no cost for registration. Participants may earn continuing education hours or may audit (for no credit). If desired, Adams State University credit is an option (for a fee). Participants may choose to enroll with teammates or learning partners. Specific course information can be found at http://www.cde.state.co.us/rti/family
An informational flyer is attached here
New Teacher Induction December Meeting
The New Teacher Induction December Meeting will be held at RDAB on Thursday, December 10 from 4:00-5:30. All inductees should attend the meeting. If you are unable to attend, please email Joanna_polzin@engschools.net
Sign up for the hour of code now and schedule it for anytime between December 7-13. The hour of code challenges students to learn 21st century skills and computer science in a fun and engaging way! One school in Colorado will win $10,000 and it could be an Englewood School!
Cherrelyn will be participating in the hour of code on December 11 from 12:30 to 1:30.
Google Hangout with Attorney General Cynthia Coffman
At 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, December 15, Attorney General Coffman will be featured in an exclusive video interview live via Google Hangouts to celebrate Bill of Rights Day. Bill of Rights Day honors the ratification of the first ten amendments to the Constitution.
Students have the opportunity to submit the questions that will be asked during the live video interview. To submit questions, email them to Andy McKean at firstname.lastname@example.org
On Wednesday, Dec. 9 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., join us for an instructor-led holiday painting at the Brew on Broadway (B.o.B.) at 3445 S. Broadway.