Are you interested in going to college, but not sure how to make it happen? Do you need help applying for scholarships? Are you interested in improving your academic success? Do you struggle to stay organized and manage your time well? Would you like to be a part of a supportive group of students?
Interested? Talk to your counselor today!
AVID is an academic, regularly scheduled elective class based on writing as a tool of learning, the inquiry method and collaboration.
The three main components of the program are:
- academic instruction
- tutorial support
- motivational activities
- teaches study and organizational skills
- strengthens writing skills
- gives tutorial help
- teaches students to work collaboratively to be successful in the most rigorous courses
- takes students to visit colleges and universities
- assists students with the application process for four-year colleges and universities
- helps students explore careers through guest speakers
AVID is designed to increase school-wide learning and performance. The mission of AVID is to see more students enroll in four-year colleges. Although AVID serves all students, it focuses on the least served students in the academic middle.
- will enter mainstream activities of the school
- will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges
- will become educated and responsible
- will become participants and leaders in a democratic society
How can you help your AVID student?
- discuss upcoming family events and dates and mark on student calendar
- discuss with students selection of tutoring group they will join on tutoring day
- occasionally review a page of notes
- use questions developed by students to help review for concepts and tests
- share your struggles to be organized and encourage students to take time to keep binder organized