Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID is an in-school academic support program that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
AVID accelerates students into more rigorous courses and offers the intensive support students need to succeed in these classes.
AVID levels the playing field for minority, rural, low-income and first generation students.
AVID is in nearly 4,500 schools in 45 states and 15 countries
Interested? Talk to your counselor today!
AVID is an academic, regularly scheduled elective class based on writing as a tool of learning, the inquiry method and collaboration.
- teaches study and organizational skills
- strengthens writing skills
- gives tutorial help
- teaches students to work collaboratively to be successful in the most rigorous courses
- takes students to visit colleges and universities
- assists students with the application process for four-year colleges and universities
- helps students explore careers through guest speakers
AVID is designed to increase school-wide learning and performance. The mission of AVID is to see more students enroll in four-year colleges. Although AVID serves all students, it focuses on the least served students in the academic middle.
- will enter mainstream activities of the school
- will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges
- will become educated and responsible
- will become participants and leaders in a democratic society
How can you help your AVID student?
- discuss upcoming family events and dates and mark on student calendar
- discuss with students selection of tutoring group they will join on tutoring day
- occasionally review a page of notes
- use questions developed by students to help review for concepts and tests
- share your struggles to be organized and encourage students to take time to keep binder organized