Do you teach language arts? Do you want to take advantage of eBooks on the student iPads? If so, you have four options:
1. Go to http://englewoodschools.marmot.org/
and search for books using the "in Englewood Public Libary" pull down menu in the upper right corner. This option only works for single titles, not class sets. But if you are asking student to choose a unique title for themselves, it works.
2. Go to the the iBooks app on an iPad. On the home screen, use the search feature in the upper right to search for "free books." The free ones will be marked with "Get." Click on "Get" and download them for free. You can have each student search for and download the same title once you have determined it is free. See other free book options at: http://ebookfriendly.com/free-books-ibooks-sources/
3. Project Gutenberg is the top place to download free classics. It’s a mother of all ebook sites – http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1
. Currently there are almost 48,000 public domain books in the catalog. There are two kinds of epub files: with or without images. The one with images takes much more storage space – and that also means it will take longer to download it. If you are going to add books to iBooks via Dropbox or Google Drive, you’ll love the fact that PG offers one-click downloads to connected accounts of these two cloud storage services. You can get class sets with PG.
4. Go to http://englewoodschools.marmot.org/
and search for books using the "in Englewood Public Libary" pull down menu in the upper right corner. The list below have class sets available. If you want other class sets included in 2015, we might be able to get them added to this list. Just let your media specialist know. Students will need a public library card, but they can easily apply for one and get it online at the same link under "Sign up for a public library card
List of Class eBook Sets
- The Fountainhead
- My Dog Tulip
- The Paperboy
- "We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing True Story of a Young Family, a Broken Down Zoo, and the 200 Wild Animals That Change Their Lives Forever (unabridged)"
- Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West (unabridged)
- The Bonfire of the Vanities: A Novel (unabridged)
- "Malice Prepense: Barbara Holloway Series, Book 3 (unabridged)"
- The Screwtape Letters
- Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
- My Year of Meats
- The Great Gatsby
- On the Road
- Summer in Tuscany
- Among the Missing: A Novel (unabridged)
- Anna Karenina
- Death Match
- "No Defense: Barbara Holloway Series, Book 5 (unabridged)"
- Angle of Repose
- "Defense for the Devil: Barbara Holloway Series, Book 4 (unabridged)"
- Atlas Shrugged
- Louis L'Amour's Desert Tales: Desert Death Song & Law of the Desert (unabridged)
- Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West (unabridged)
- Watership Down